Wednesday, October 26, 2011

September 30: Casbah, San Diego CA.
Quite a fine way to start things off.
Sarah from Hardly Art happened to be in Beverly Hills fancily dining with some old friends and offered to give me a ride to the train station. How nice!
I missed the train I wanted to catch due to traffic issues.
I bought another ticket thinking I needed a new one for the train I intended to take.
A nice man told me I didn't need to do that.
I sat in one of those 4-way seating areas on the train with an old grandma, her GD, and a nice lady whose boyfriend was in a band that played with Crocodiles one time so she was impressed by the reason I was going to San Diego.
I knew it would be awkward sitting in a seat like that, but I hate it when they go to waste, and the little girl had invited me!
It was a fairly fun trip. Although I usually prefer to sit there in silence.
Anyway, the show was pretty fun. My cousin Susie picked me up and dropped me off.
There were lots of "technical issues" and I messed up a lot.
But it made me laugh very much every time there was a huge blast of feedback during Crocodiles's set. And it made me feel better about how shitty my set was.
I met everyone who was coming on the tour with us.
It was a really good show. But I knew almost no one there!
My cousin Susie picked me up and I got to stay at her new apartment with her and her new puppy.

October 1: Casbah, San Diego CA.
This show was fun. I was a lot less nervous than the previous night so I didn't mess up as much. I knew more people this time. I can't remember if it was this night or the night before, but I met a pair of twins who had a band together and I asked them if they were The Proclaimers because they looked like The Proclaimers. But they were not.

October 2: Detroit Bar, Costa Mesa CA.
Crocodiles picked me up at my cousin's home and we went to Costa Mesa, which I had never been to before. The venue we played at was pretty spacious despite being in a plaza, and had a lot of really cushiony benches which I really liked. Everyone at this show was really weird, didn't seem to know anything about any of the bands that played, and didn't even appear to listen to music that much (like me). It was weird! They also LOVED to buy merch, and at one point when I sat behind the merch table to simply rest and perhaps sell some of MY merch, they overwhelmed me and I had to go away! Anyway, after the show, everyone was heading back to L.A. and the roadie type dude for Dum Dum Girls was somehow coerced into giving me a ride back to West L.A. He asked me how I felt about gangsta rap and I said I felt fine so we listened to Trill Ville and Wiz Khalifa. We smoked a joint as well. Anddd I got to sleep in my bed.

October 3: Troubadour, Los Angeles CA.
I walked to the grocery store and got a sandwich, some chips, and a Neuro Bliss drink. It was a pretty color and tasted good.
Then later my brother Ryan drove me to the show which is pretty close to where we live in West Los Angeles.
I messed up on a couple of the songs. I was really nervous. I also don't think I practiced one of my new songs enough before deciding to play it every night on tour.
Anyway, my brother and a bunch of his friends came so that was nice. The venue was cool. Someone wearing a Pixies shirt knew the Damone song I played.
After the show it became clear that I would not be able to stay at my house again, so my brother drove me back to my house to get my stuff, and then back to the Troubadour where Chuck from Crocodiles was waiting to give me a ride to Sandy from DDG's house in Echo Park.
I slept on the couch and it was very nice.
Sandy's house is really really cool.
She gave me green tea the next morning!

October 4: Great American Music Hall, San Francisco CA.
We got up fairly early and drove to San Francisco. The venue we played at is an old theatre and is huge and amazing. I can't believe I played a show there. We all had our own dressing rooms and everyone who worked there was really, really nice. I was looking forward to the free meal which turned out to be some type of fish, brussels sprouts, beans and rice, and a salad. It was not exactly what I was hoping for but I ate it because I was really, really hungry. It was sort of good actually. There were fancy sodas in my dressing room. I tried to nap on one of the couches because I didn't feel good. It didn't really work though. Erica, her boyfriend Jake, and Kayla came! It was so nice to get to hang out with them. The show was fun. I played a pretty ok set. We all smoked weed and made chit chat. I stayed at Erica's after and it ruled. She made macaroni and cheese. I miss them so much.

October 5: The Blank Club, San Jose CA.
Went to breakfast at Lynn and Lu's in Oakland with Kayla and Erica because we love that place. I have no idea what I got. Probably like fruit, eggs, and toast is what I am thinking. And coffee even though I am trying to cut down.
We hung around and it was super fun and awesome.
Kayla told me a secret that made me very upset for many days to come.
I got picked up from Erica's and we went to San Leandro to meet up with everyone else. Then we drove to San Jose! This was a fun show. The backstage area was nice and we smoked a lot of weed. There were also veggies and dip. The show was pretty good. I forgot to play one of my new songs. I was really stoned. All the bands sounded really good though, duh. A boy I used to know a little in Boston who now lives in San Jose was there and we smoked a HUGE joint after my set. Jules and her bf Brent were going back to Oakland after the show and said they'd give me a ride, but I'd hafta go with them first to a bar where they were meeting with friends. I thought that was ok. The bar was terrible and there were terrible people there. Then we went to someone's house in San Jose were the terrible people got worse but at least there was a tiny bit of free coke.
We got back to Oakland around 5 and I was astonished that Brent stayed awake that long! Good job buddy!
I went back to Erica's but she was at Jake's and had locked her back door which is always open! No! But it was ok. I broke in through Dan's old bedroom window.

October 6: Drive to Portland.
On this day we drove to Portland.

October 7: The Doug Fir, Portland OR.
We woke up in Portland and Sandy and I decided to walk around. We went to Stumptown and got some coffee and bagels. We went to the record store that Bob D works at, saw Bob D, went to American Apparel where I bought a really cool dress, and went to Voodoo Donuts. Then we went to the Jupiter Hotel which the Doug Fir is a part of. Other peeps were there hanging about. We got free food. I ate a TURKEY caesar salad (have you ever??) and worried that eating it might make me fall asleep. The show was pretty good. The Doug Fir is really cool. Bob came to the show and gave me a weed chocolate chip cookie which was delectable. We stayed at the Jupiter Hotel.

October 8: The Electric Owl, Vancouver BC.
We drove to Vancouver and it was my first time in the city! I saw a place where people go to get clean needles and a lot of them were sitting on the ground with needles in their arms. I've seen some things, but never a clinic just like that before. Anyway I thought Vancouver was cool. I was definitely sick by this point and was feeling pretty low. My throat was sore. Shouldn'ta smoked weed with that one guy. But anyway, Ruben and Lacey and Sarah came to the show! It was awesome to see them. After I played they took me to this other hotel where the Jacuzzi Boys were playing and they were all staying. It was tiiiiiight and all the rooms were all old and different. There was also a weird dance party/wedding reception going on in a couple of the lobby rooms, it was awesome. And the Jacuzzi Boys gave me free pizza! Then we stayed at a hotel in Bellingham WA.

October 9: Neumo's, Seattle WA.
We drove to Seattle. We drove to our hotel. We went to Whole Foods. I got a turkey sandwich and an apple and some green tea. The venue was really big and plain. The downstairs area was really cool though. They had arcade games and a big room where I could watch Wayne's World and eat my sandwich. The show was ok. I was really sick at that point. They always put really bright spotlights on me for some reason and I don't like it. This night was no exception. I asked if they could make it go away but I think they thought I was kidding or maybe they didn't understand my mumblings. But they eventually complied.
Anyway, this show was fun. Ruben and Lacey and Sarah were there. I got drugs. Etc.
We went back to the hotel and I went to sleep.

October 10: Nothing!
I got up and was still very sick so I walked to the drug store to get cold medicine. I got some and I got a little bottle of orange juice as well which I really needed. I sat in the lobby of the hotel for a long time and drank it.
We went to breakfast at a place called Local 360 or something. It was ok. I got a scrambled egg and an english muffin. It was cool that everything was like "natural" and all or whatever but like the jam on my muffin wasn't nearly sugary enough. It didn't taste like anything! It was pretty good though. Marco and I blazed beforehand and a really crazy methed out dude talked to us on the street for a really long time at a very rapid pace. He was funny!
We paid a visit to Sub Pop HQ and I got to hang around in the Hardly Art office for a spell where I proceeded to break down in tears in front of Rube and Sarah and the new guy because of things going on in my personal life that I don't know how to handle. It sucked! I am sorry you guys, if you are reading this, I know it's scary and uncomfortable when someone just up and does that, but...I couldn't help it.
Anyway, I got to play with Chuy Pancakes a bit and it was overall a fun visit.
Then we set off for our 2 day trip to St. Paul, MN.
I have no idea where we stayed this night. I guess it was somewhere in Montana. But who knows?

October 11 - Still nothing!
We drove and drove and drove (well, Dum Dum Girls' tour managers did all the driving and I sat and looked out the window and slept.) and eventually stayed in Jamestown, ND I think. We had a crazy hotel with a bunch of sports-themed rooms, an indoor pool, and an arcade! I tried my hand at the claw machine, but it ate my money, and then I played again and I didn't win. I got my money back though.

October 12 - St. Paul, MN.
We drove more and finally got to St. Paul. I had never been there before. The Turf Club was pretty cool. I ate some delicious Thai food and got a really old cool book which I gave to my boyfriend. It is a long poem about a party in the 20s or something that gets "out of hand". I played a song for Radio K in the back of their station wagon while they filmed it. The show was good. Chuck said that Paddy from D4 was there! I didn't see him though. I lost all of my t shirts. I lost the keys to the Crocodiles van and I was supposed to drive them home and everyone got mad at me and I got upset, but they were just in the other car which came back swiftly. We stayed at a Best Western or something and I had a full on panic attack in the bathroom on the main floor. Then I went up to the room and told the other girls about everything that has been on my mind and they consoled me. They are really nice.

October 13: High Noon Saloon, Madison WI.
We got to Madison sort of early ish and some of the girls decided to go "downtown" so I went along. I walked around some sort of cool closed street with a lot of shops and stuff on it. I got some new socks at URBN. Then we went back to the venue. Me, Sandy and Robin went to this restaurant next door where some type of office party was occurring and stole our fill of veggies and weird pizza. Back at the venue I coughed so hard I puked. Then I smoked weed and felt 100% better though. I played and it was ok. I went to a DIFFERENT restaurant next door and got some french fries. I ate some of them there. Apparently there was some sort of big college sports game going on. Then I ate more of them at the merch table while Crocodiles played. I asked for a ginger ale, but they only had ginger beer. But that was ok. Then I went to an upstairs balcony and sat and txted my boyfriend and tried to nap as the show went on. Eventually a man came and asked me if I was ok because the show was over and everyone was gone. And I was like, "uhh, yeah" and he was like, "good set tonight btw".
I was very tired.
Although, I think this was the night where our hotel ended up having a 24 hour hot tub and pool so more of us than I expected went in the hot tub and ate pizza and some kid was in there just sittin' and playing songs on an acoustic guitar. He seemed young and completely unfazed by how drunk and boisterous everyone was, they were shouting things at him, like all the wrong words, and he just kept onnn a playin.

October 14: The Empty Bottle, Chicago IL.
We drove to Chicago. We ate at a place next to the venue called Bite. I got breakfast tacos and they were gooooood. I was to play an in store at Permanent Records, so a nice man named Bill who works there came to the venue to pick me up. Bill runs a cool label called Trouble in Mind so I got a few cool CDs which I eventually left in the DDG's suburban. The nice folks at Permanent gave me grapes and a free t shirt which I promptly sported. There were about 7 people there including my buddies Brent and Chris. Since there were so few people there I decided to attempt playing "Burnin' for You" by Blue Oyster Cult. It turned out pretty good and I ended up playing it at every subsequent show. Big hit. After I played, the three of us tried to make it to an in store the DDs were playing at Reckless Records, but we juuust missed them. I got King Tubby - "King of Dub" and then I went outside and puked on the sidewalk. I hope no one saw! But I'm pretty sure the like 10 people who were standing right there most likely saw. I was discreet though.
Then we went to Brent's new place and smoked weed and listened to some music.
Then we went to Burger King and I ate a delicious cheeseburger.
Then we went to the show at the Empty Bottle.
It was really fun.
Everyone there was really nice, especially one girl who was a nurse and drove all the way from Champaign to see me and had just been to an apple orchard and brought a fresh delicious appley donut for me and gave me a bunch of money too! That was awesome.
What a great show, and fun night overall.
I think this was the night where we went to our hotel and the tour manager almost got in a fight with the security guard because no one was at the front desk and the guard wouldn't find the person in charge, he just wanted to watch Law and Order. I sat on the couch with him for a spell after stuff really started to hit the fan, and he actually told me that his ONLY job was to make sure people don't steal stuff from the little shit mart they have next to the front desk. This was funny to me because there were like 8-9 of us in this group and we ALL stole stuff from the store. I got some vanilla ice cream.
Come to find out this was the wrong hotel and the one we were actually staying in was like 50 feet away from it.
I stayed in a room with Robin and Anna from Crocodiles and they had a big bed and I slept on a pull out couch thing. It was cool, but I didn't get very much sleep because I had done a TINY bit of coke at the show.
Stupid.
I just wanted to sleep!

October 15: The Magic Stick, Detroit MI.
I woke up and had missed the continental breakfast, but the nice ladies at the hotel gave me some milk and cereal anyway. I ate frosted flakes. SO good. I pulled this stunt the previous morning as well.
Then we drove to Detroit. The Magic Stick was pretty cool. My friend Auchie and his girlfriend came and we all ate free pizza and I also ate some really delicious free cookies. Auchie gave me a weed brownie and it was the kind that also has chocolate chips in it. YUM. This show was ok except for the fact that the sound guy turned on the house music after I had played like 2 songs. I had said into the microphone something along the lines of, "My name is Colleen Green and I am going to play more songs now!" but what he THOUGHT i said was "Jay, I'm all done now!" Then he thought I walked off stage and he actually turned off my amp. I was like, "YO, what the fuck is going on?" I thought they were cutting me off! But he was just on tons of drugs or something.
After the show I realized I couldn't bring my bowl into Canada so I trusted one of the nice bartenders there to mail mine to me in Boston. I hope he actually does it! He didn't seem nearly as fucked up as all the other people that were working there.
We drove across the border and stayed in Windsor, Ontario. The next morning brought me the most delicious bagel I've ever had at a place called Country Deli!
It was just so fucking soft.

October 16: Lee's Palace, Toronto ONT.
We drove to Toronto. The outside of Lee's Palace has a really cool colorful mural thing painted on it. I liked it. The venue was big. I tried to chat with my boyfriend online when we got there but it was really annoying. Then me, Jules, and Sandy walked to some Chinese restaurant and it turned out to be really far away. But it was okay because Toronto is really cool and I got to see a very tiny bit of it. One thing that I didn't really like about this tour was that we had no time to see the cities in which we played. For the most part, we were in the car or at the venue or at the hotel. But I get it. Anyway we got to see a bit, and then it started raining so we took a cab back to Lee's. There were good snacks. I got candy bars at the store next door to save for later. My set sounded good I guess. I sold out of the rest of my merch. After two upstanding citizens smoked me up on the street outside, I ate my candy bars. Then we stayed at some hotel.

October 17: Il Motore, Montreal QC.
This night was fun! The venue seemed to be in a pretty shitty part of town, and out of the way, but luckily there was a soup store right next door, which a lot of us patronized. They had REALLY good soup! and I don't even like soup. But it was fucking delicious. And Sandy gave me some of her bread. The Jacuzzi Boys came to our show and that was fun. My friend Yannick came to the show and I walked with him to get samosas which was a bad idea cuz it was really cold and sort of raining and I was not properly dressed. But we made it back eventually. We smoked a lot of weed. The show was ok. There were technical difficulties during my set including one extremely loud noise which caused people to think many different things, for example:
-That a glass had shattered
-That the speakers were exploding
-and all sorts of stuff

I didn't know what the fuck was going on but I was very scared.
and it hurt as well. hurt my ears and head.

Anyway, we hung out blah blah blah, and then we went to the Days Inn in downtown Montreal where we were staying. Then Yannick brought a bunch of us to an all night burger joint where I wanted to get a cheeseburger AND a pogo, but I settled for just a cheeseburger and a red KIRI drink. It was so fucking good.
Also this place had a claw machine and after one look at it I just knew I could win. And I did! I won an extremely cute seal AND a baseball cap with both the Monster energy drink and Fox racing logos on it. I gave the seal to my boyfriend. I had been wanting to win him something in the claw machine, although, it would have been better if he was there.
Anyway.
The rest of them tried to go to an "after hours" place, and I went back to the hotel. I guess it turned out to be a sexy massage parlor or something though!

October 18: Return to MA.
It was very cold in Montreal and we walked around trying to find coffee and bagels. We eventually did and both were soooo good. We got sesame bagels at a bagel factory and I got a REAL mochaccino. YUM.
Then we left Montreal and headed to Boston. There was no show that night so we just drove and drove until we got to Watertown where my boyfriend picked me up! It was amazing! I got to hug him and kiss him and squeeze him and cuddle with him in bed and it felt soooooooo good.

October 19: The Paradise, Boston MA.
This show was really really good. I finally kicked my cold like the day before, SERIOUSLY. It was my friend Sean's birthday. It was my boyfriend's birthday at midnight. The backstage area of the Paradise is really big and cool. Complete with a washer and dryer! I got to hang out with my boyfriend all day and then play this rad show at night and hang out and smoke weed with a bunch of my friends. What more could a girl ask for?
This show was one of the best of the tour I think. The DDs plus Robin from Crocodiles sang back up vocals for me on "Worship You" which is the last song of my set. It was very special and sounded soooo GOOD! They are so cute.
Anyway, after the show I went back home with my boyfriend and I have been there ever since. Except for when we went to NYC for CMJ for a couple of days. That was super fun too. But now we relax forever.

I hope you enjoyed this dumb tour blog.
It was actually really fun!
Or "sooooo good", if you will.
OK!
Bye!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Colleen, don't you just hate it when you have a cold and want to smoke weed?? I feel it's one of the worst feelings wanting to smoke and then not wanting to cause you and your throat feel like shit. I enjoy reading your blogs for I am from NH and and have been transplanted into LA as well, love smoking weed, hate alcohol like you, and love your music

    ReplyDelete